Monday, May 11, 2009

SnapLogger - essential time tracking tool for lawyers!




A couple of weeks ago I discovered a nifty small utility for Windows that I immediately put to use in my law practice.  I knew it would be amazingly useful for attorneys as soon as I read about it.  The program is called SnapLogger

SnapLogger sits in your system tray and inconspicuously takes screen snapshots of whatever you are working on at intervals you can set.  I sent mine to "take pictures" every 60 seconds.  If you lucky enough to have a fixed work schedule you can tell it to stop recording at a certain time as well.  The snapshots are automatically stored as ordinary JPG files in folders organized by date.  The program is smart enough to stop recording when your computer in inactive and you can also tell it to exclude certain programs (such as Solitaire).  There is a built in viewer and a slideshow "movie" mode.  The publisher is Uconomix Technologies which appears to be a small startup in India by Yash Gadhiya.  SnapLogger only costs $19.99.



I am positive this program will help me keep much better track of billable activities.  It's not always possible to record time entries immediately after completing a task, and in the past it was a tedious task to try and remember everything done on behalf of a client.  Now, so long as the activity involves the computer (and at this point nearly everything I do in my office does), it will be impossible to forget billable time if you install SnapLogger.  No doubt the program will pay for itself on the very first billing cycle after it is purchased.  It may turn out to be useful for other purposes as well.  If so, I'll keep everyone updated! 

Attorneys and other professionals reading this who bill by the hour, buy this program now!

-- Michael

"Time & Money" Photo credit:  Evan S. Photography (creative commons license)

1 comment:

  1. I am deeply in love with every single piece of information you post here. Will be back often to read more updates!

    billable time tracking

    ReplyDelete