Saturday, May 9, 2009

Welcome to my Law Tech Geek Blog!

Hello and welcome to my new "Law Tech Geek" blog!


By way of introduction, I'm a practicing attorney in solo practice in Sacramento, California.  My main areas of practice are family law, bankruptcy and small business matters. 

I've been keenly interested in computers and technology for over twenty years now.  Prior to law school I worked as a freelance computer consultant, sold computers and software at the retail level, operated a popular public computer bulletin board (BBS) in the pre-Internet era, and was the moderator for multiple computer related discussion groups on Fidonet.  During this time I dabbled in computer programming (mostly Quickbasic and Turbo Pascal) but my projects never quite jelled and I had difficult wrapping my head around Borland's new Object Oriented Programming which was all the rage at the time.  While attending law school at the University of the Pacific in the early 90's, I was the Sysop for the school's BBS that facilitated online discussion between students and faculty members. 



Since "going solo" in 1996, I've continuously tried to find better ways to incorporate technology in my law practice.  Besides the ever present "cool" factor, advancements in technology always hold the promise of making life easier and increasing efficiency, which is something akin to the Holy Grail for busy professionals that bill by the hour (and probably all overworked small business owners).  Some of my tech experiments have proven to be a great success while frankly others have been a spectacular flop, but since I am a true tech geek, I've enjoyed the ride just the same.  I recently served for three years as the chairperson of the Sacramento County Bar's Law Practice Management and Technology Section, affectionately know as SLUG.  Sadly, the SLUG section is now defunct but I continue to regularly receive e-mails and telephone calls from former members.

In the future, this blog will contain a mishmash of tech and law related posts.  Stay tuned!

-- Michael

P.S. -- Today Turbo Pascal is considered "antique software" believe it or not and Borland gives it away for free. Click here to download version 5.5, which was probably the best ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment