Monday, May 25, 2009

My new HP Mini Netbook!


A couple of weeks ago, my geek tendencies got the best of me and I purchased a  HP Mini Netbook.  I had been eyeing netbooks for over a year.  Most of the current models are similarly equipped and sell for about $400.  My rationale for getting one was to have a truly portable computer that I could take with me everywhere.  Despite being a tech guy, I am not too keen on the whole Blackberry craze or expensive "Smart" phones.  In this regard, I am sort of old fashioned.  I mostly just want to talk on my phone.  I don't care if there is an "app" to bill my clients, open Microsoft Word documents and convert the US Dollar to Japanese Yen.  These are tasks for a "real" computer with a decent sized screen and usable keyboard, not my phone.  Of course I already had a couple of perfectly functional notebooks, but they are too heavy, expensive and inconvenient to tote around everywhere. Hence, the idea of a two pound netbook devoted exclusively to mobile use was highly appealing.  

I decided on an HP Mini after researching user reviews and discovering the keyboard was nearly as large as a standard laptop.  This is a big usability plus in my view.  I also decided to get the model without a hard drive (1030NR). Instead it uses a 16 GB "solid state" memory drive by Samsung with no moving parts. It's sort of like a built in USB flash key, but it emulates a hard drive.  These drives are very durable, but only offer about 1/5 the storage space of typical netbooks with traditional hard disk.  Windows XP takes up about 4 GB right out the box, so users have 12 GB to work with.  After adding a office suite, Firefox, anti-virus protection and some favorite utilities only about 7 GBs remain on my netbook.  

This is a concern, however it is not as bad it sounds.  The netbook has a SDHC card slot and another dubious proprietary "Mini Mobile Drive" slot.  I added a inexpensive Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Cardfor about $40 bucks and now I have instantly tripled my free storage space.  In addition, after doing some research, I learned that the over-priced HP "Mini Mobile Drive" is actually a Transcend "Jet Flash" and the 8 GB model can be had at an Amazon seller for mere $31 bucks.  Admittedly, that's a pretty crappy price compared to the SDHC card, but consider that HP is presently selling their 4 GB rebadged "Mini Mobile Drive" version for $24.99!  The Jet Flash drive is designed to stay in the netbook all the time and mine shipped with a 2 GB model.  It is so tiny, I nearly tossed it out with the packaging!  Only time will tell whether or not the relatively limited amount of storage will create unforseen challenges.  I suspect not, especially as more and more storage options become available "in the cloud."

It's too early to write about my experiences with the netbook, but I will say that it mostly worked right of the box.  I did encounter trouble getting it to connect to my home network.  Eventually, I determined the problem was related to the fact it was encrypted using 64 bit WEP.  When I changed the network to 128 bit encryption, it connected easily.  This will probably not be a big issue in the future, but I hope it is something that HP addresses.  Obviously a netbook should be able to connect to the widest range of wireless set-ups out there without hassles.

-- Michael

4 comments:

  1. [originally posted by 5/25/2009 1:22 PM philxphilosophy ]

    When i worked for geek squad - we sold those. I preferred the asus minis. They have a bigger hard drive (i prefer lots of space just in case!) and arent as fragile and proprietary, although the solid state hard drive is very nice for durbality. The HP doesnt have as many external ports - such as USBs and video outputs - you actually have to have the docking station for the HP inorder to output video, which depending on the person it isnt that big of a deal. Still, the HP is very sleek and very very light. The one thing about the asus is that the screen is mat and not glossy - so you dont get the glare and the HP screen is pretty flimsy. That's just my experience with them. Actually own the asus mini - that's why i'm so fond of them =P

    oh and battery life is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [originally posted by 5/25/2009 10:13 PM lawtechgeek]

    Thanks for your comments Philx! It certainly does sound like you know your

    netbooks! I considered the Asus Mini and no doubt they have many happy netbook customers. For me the large keyboard on the HP was more important. Your point about the video output limitations on the HP is a good one, however HP did finally come out with a special VGA cable that allows you to connect it to a regular monitor. The cost is $34.99 at the HP store. The price is irksome, but this is an essential add on if you plan to use the HP Mini for presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [ originally posted by 5/27/2009 10:16 AM philxphilosophy ]

    Yea that was one thing that a lot of customers favored with the HP over the Asus - was the bigger keyboard. It's not TOO much bigger. Once you get use to it, it's really not that bad. And about the special VGA cable - it's still proprietary and you still have to purchase it directly through HP to get what you need. Which is the biggest downfall.

    Haha after I commented on this post yesterday, I saw a commercial for the HP mini later that day!
    =D

    good luck with your mini! they really are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [ originally posted on 5/27/2009 9:22 PM lawtechgeek ]

    On Facebook one of my friends asked me Acer netbooks. He mentioned the possibility of purchasing a model at Costco for about $380 for his daughter. Here was my response:

    I haven't seen the exact model at Costco since I let my membership there lapse, but I looked for it on Amazon and it seems like a good value. I have had good experience with an Acer laptop in my office that has lasted three years now with daily use. They have one with a 10.1 inch screen, 160 gig HD, 6 cell battery (for about 6 hours of use!) and 1 GB of Ram for just $329 with free shipping and no tax for us. Also, like mine it comes with XP. Seems like a great value and customers agree. It has 4 1/2 stars. It comes in red, blue, black or white, which might make it more appealing to your daughter. I would say go for it!

    Here's a URL to the Acer Aspire One netbook on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/pwq6m5

    ReplyDelete